Features of Tesla Powerpack
- Fully integrated turnkey solution The Powerpack system is a complete AC connected energy storage solution, including DC batteries, bi-directional inverter and a Powerpack controller with intelligent software. The Powerpack controller is an on site computer interface creating control signals and relay commands to the inverter and DC Combiner based on integrated application control software.
- Scalable The system is infinitely scalable and is suitable for applications ranging in size from 100 kWh to 100 MWh. The lay-out is modular allowing flexibility in meeting the special constraints of the site.
- Outdoor rated Powerpack’s enclosure is outdoor rated for all environments and thus no additional structures are required to house it. This simplifies installation and lowers site preparation expenses.
- Enhanced safety The Powerpack’s battery architecture consists of a low voltage battery with a DC/DC converter for added electrical isolation and safety. It also has an integrated liquid cooling / heating system allowing for pinpoint temperature control and thermal safety. The dual coolant and refrigerant loop system ensures maximum performance ensures optimal performance and efficiency.
- State of the art technology with long life and high efficiency with economies of scale in manufacturing leading to competitive pricing.
Tesla Powerpack applications
The Powerpack is suitable for all types of commercial storage application. The benefits of commercial storage are discussed in detail in our page Benefits of Storage – Commercial (> 50kWh).
In summary the relevant applications are as follows:
- Peak Shaving – Buy Cheap, Use Peak! Charge the battery at off-peak rates, discharge at times of peak demand to reduce expensive demand charges.
- Load Shifting Shift energy consumption from one point in time to another.
- Micro-grid / Emergency Back-up Build a localised grid that can island a site from the main grid as and when required.
- Demand Response / Grid Balancing Services Discharge or charge in response to signals from a demand response administrator. Supply Frequency Regulation services and Capacity Market support to the grid when required.
- Transmission and Distribution Support Supply increased power to a site to defer the need to upgrade the grid connection.
Tesla Powerpack technical specification
Each Powerpack contains 16 individual battery pods, each with an isolated DC to DC converter. Thermal control is achieved using hundreds of sensors that report on cell level performance.
The key technical specifications are as follows:
|Dimensions (width x height x depth)
||966 x 2185 x 1321 mm
|Operating ambient temperature
||-30°C to 50°C
480 VAC 3-phase
400 VAC 3-phase
||Scalable from 50kW - 500kW
|Continuous power duration
Lithium-Ion Cells: NRTL listed to UL 1642
System: NRTL listed to UL 1973, 9540, 1741, IEEE 1547